Sunday, February 9, 2014

Sitting in church today, I was thinking about charity. Looking around, I saw some of the most generous, self-sacrificing people I have ever known, and it occurred to me that they are the epitome of charity. It is odd to me that conservative people are often accused of hating the poor, wanting to starve children, and being selfish and greedy people because they oppose government-based welfare. I believe charity must be voluntary, or it is not charity. The people I observed give time and treasure of their own free will, not because they are coerced by an outside entity, such as a government. Government-enforced charity is not charity at all, because it is collected, funded, distributed, and regulated by force. Giving of yourself because it is the best thing you can do is true charity.

No comments:

Post a Comment